When Is It Time To Move A Child From A Crib To a Toddler Bed?
May 19, 2011
Moving a child from a crib to a toddler bed is a personal decision although studies suggest age two to be the average age. Any time your child is jumping up over the crib rails and is able to maneuver his way out it is time. While many parents get overly anxious about this time period, it’s important to value safety for the children in your life as a top priority and choosing the right “modern toddler bed,” is important if not critical. With all the modern furniture today available it can hard choosing when there are so many cute designs out there. While cute they may be, safety might not be in some of the designs available. Making sure you do your research about which beds are in the top safety categories is of high importance for the well being of your child. Today’s modern kids furniture can be unique, sturdy, and functional all at the same time. When researching you shouldn’t so much look for reviews as many are actually placed there by someone who gets paid to say a nice thing. This says nothing about the facts or the safety of a product. Look at these aspects when buying a toddler bed.
- Structure/ durability. Does it wobble from side to side? Is it strong enough to hold the weight of your child?
- Side railings. Does it have side rails? Are they placed right so your child won’t fall off?
- The height. Is the height right, not too high?
- Over all set-up. Can they get their head stuck anywhere around the structure?
- Look for mesh railings if your child moves around while sleeping. Wooden or metal is fine if they do not move much.
Keep in mind that when you buy a toddler bed, most come with a weight limit of up to 50lbs. You will have to obtain another one for your yet older toddler unless you go to a higher end bed like the modern toddler bed by Sodura, shown in the image on this post. Moving your child from a crib to a toddler bed is an important step in their life but it should also be a safe one too.